October 13, 2012

Random Post Alert -- What I wrote at today's meeting and sharing something I learned... #amblogging

Today at my monthly meeting (Chesapeake Romance Writers), the president passed out magazine photos (I took a picture of mine--see on your right) and challenged us to come up with a short paragraph describing the person's goal, motivation and conflict. We had FIVE minutes to do this. Uh, can you say pressure! I don't know about you, but it takes me a hot second to form a story idea. *winks* Plus, we had to read it out loud afterward. *gasps* So I took a deep breath, stared at the picture and here's what I came up with...

Chloe thought they would be safe. Wrong. Damn this stupid dress and uncomfortable shoes. Why hadn’t she changed? Costume parties weren’t her thing, yet she’d agreed to go. Another failed attempt at killing him. Now she was on the run. Again. The huntsmen would never stop. They could run but never hide. She had to protect her beast…otherwise her soul would be added to his collection.

Whaddya think?


The group came up with some fantastic paragraphs!

Our guest speaker today was Kerri-Leigh Grady--Associate Editor at Entangled Publishing. Her workshop on romantic conflict/pacing, querying and the submission process was informative and entertaining. Definitely learned a lot and wanted to share one of the things I found especially useful for building romantic pacing in a story... 12 Steps to Intimacy.


Ohhh, and, well, uh, Steps 10-12 probably won't show up in my manuscripts since I write young adult. Of course, you just never know. *winks wickedly as she pushes the envelope further across the publishing table*

See you tomorrow for Six Sentence Sunday!!! More from my demon-slaying unicorn story... 

Cover Art Designed by Danielle Fine

2 comments: